November 4, 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

I used to be a firm believer that books that a majority of people in the world like (example: Twilght) are completely and utterly CRAP!!! (see previcous example) Then I remembered how popular Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and the Hunger Games books are, so I decided, maybe, this one might be okay.

Well, I have to say... It definatly wasn't the best book in the world, as some people would have me think, but it definatly wasn't horrible.

Meghan is just your average teenager. I mean really, who doesn't have a step-father who never remembers you, has a brother kidnapped by bogeys, and has Robin Goodfellow (yes, the Puck, from A Midsummer Night's Dream) as a best friend? By God, this sounds like one of those paranormal books that I hate. Oh, wait! It is a paranormal book! Complete with faeries, giants, and gnomes. Yep, I know, creepy.

Who knew fey were so evil. I mean, really, we got the Seelie Courts, ruled over by the sadistic King Oberon and his "trigger-happy" wife Queen Titania. Well, Oberon did have an affair with a mortal woman, had a child whose presence he kept a secret from her, while he sent Puck to protect her. (In case you couldn't figure it out, Megan's that daughter, talk about awkward.) Back to the topic at hand; we got the Seelie Court, and we got the Unseelie Court, ruled by Queen Mab and her three sons; Sage, Rowan, and Ash. Of course, since we're following William Shakespeare, we have to throw in some Romeo and Juliet.

Seelie and Unseelie fey absolutely hate eachother, so when the Princess of Seelie and the Prince of Unseelie, (It's Ash, by the way) um, 'hook up,' something's bound to happen.

But really? Who's counting how many cliches are in this books, there aren't like so many I lost count before chapter 5... nope, not at all...

No comments: